Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Reflections (wrong road)

Yesterday I went for a walk.  I do that every day.  Yesterday I decided to change it up a little.  I chose a route that I thought would circle back to the familiar way.  Wrong.  I got lost.  I knew basically where I was.  But I was in unfamiliar territory.  It was a different neighborhood.  There were some signs that seemed familiar.  I figured that if I kept going in the direction I was going, I would end up where I wanted to be.  But I had some doubts.  At one point I even considered the possibility that I might have to call Cindy to come and find me.  (Frankly, that is the worst thing a man might need to do - ask directions!)
But eventually - it took a few minutes longer than I figured it would - the road I was on opened up to the road I was seeking. 
When I first got there I did not recognize I was where I wanted to be.  Ever feel that way?
When you are accustomed to walking a north and south way and you end up going east and west, things look different.  When I reached the familiar road it seemed familiar.  But that was after my initial thought of "oh no, I have no idea where I am".  Then I recognized where I was.
I was on the other side of the road from what I usually walked on.  But familiar landmarks came into view.  I knew I was on the right road.
When I thought about it, it dawned on me that in 30 minutes I had captured what is happening to me in the Covid-19 era. 
I find myself in a different neighborhood.  This life has many similarities but it is different.  We are navigating a new neighborhood.  There are different challenges.  Different victories.  Different gratitudes.  Different fears. We are in the same life - general area - but it is different.
I find myself searching for familiar landmarks.  If I could just see a familiar street sign I would know where I am in this.  If I could just take a pill.
But beneath this new navigation is the confidence that life will open into familiar territory.  Plus, we can always ask for help.  (Have you prayed today?)
When things open up (that is the word in the country today) we may not immediately recognize where we are.  We are going to be coming at life from a different direction. 
I pray my new direction is more faithful.
More caring.
More loving.
More trusting.
Less self-reliant.
More Christ-centered.
I pray my post-Covid-19 life looks vastly different.  But I am confident it will lead me to the road home.  Be confident today.  You are finding your way home.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: