Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Reflections (homesick)

Have you ever been homesick?  The memory is still there of waking up in a bunk bed, a cool morning, birds singing, but at camp.  It should have been wonderful.  Amazing.  But it was not home.  I still feel the ache of homesick. 
There were other times.  It may have been me or one of my friends.  We were growing up.  We would "spend the night" with someone.  There  are memories of late night phone calls and parents taking somebody "home".
It was not only childhood.  When I was doing 2 week classes in Pasadena, California I missed Cindy and our kids.  Homesick.
It is a pretty lousy feeling.  It robs the joy of the moment.
I have a sense some of us are having similar feelings even though we are "home".  ALL THE TIME.
Some have asked if Cindy and I plan to travel when we retire.  I am not sure what to say.  We will go somewhere, but you need to realize, my favorite trip in going home at 5:00!
I have learned to appreciate new places.  Many of us are blessed to have had amazing experiences in places away from home. 
But I love home.
I love being with those that are most important to me.
I love things that are familiar.
I love home.
Now I am beginning to discover something during this Covid-19 thing.  As much as I love home, it would be glad to branch out once in awhile!  As much as I love home, this is really not all there is.
The author of the Book of Hebrews writes an amazing chapter - Chapter 11 in the book of Hebrews relates a literal Bible Hall of Fame.  Take a moment and read it.
Then in verse 16 - Hebrews 11:16, it captures an eternal truth about all those who had lived and died in faith.
"They were longing for a better country - a heavenly one."
I find myself longing to get out of the house. 
I want to come to church and worship - but only when appropriate.
I want to go to our favorite restaurant and eat - but only when appropriate.
I want to go visit our kids - may or may not be appropriate!
I want to go see mom.
I want to go to the store without anxiety.
I want to go to a movie.
I want to go to a Royals game.
But what I truly want is to find my home.  The one God has given me for today is amazing.  I love home.  I find this home drawing me to my true home - in the heart of God! 
Homesick for the Lord.
It is a really good place to be.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful Pastor Steve. Really liked this revelation.