Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Reflections (Bogged down)

I am bogged down.  Stuck.  Going through the motions.  Anyone feel this way.  I am numb to statistics.  Daily I read of how many new caronavirus cases there are in the world.  How many deaths.  How many in US.  How many in Missouri and Kansas.  How many in the KC metro area.  I'm losing track.  Losing interest.  Bogged down.
In my daily Bible reading this morning I found myself in the book of Joshua.  That starts out strong.  "Be strong and courageous! Take the land.  The story of Jericho. 
Then Israel takes the land.  Then Joshua details the boundaries and cities being divided among the tribes of Israel.  That really bogs me down.  I find myself scanning the Word of God. 
I am sure there are people who find this fascinating.  They probably draw maps and highlight the cities and boundaries of the Promised Land. 
Me.  Stuck.
Then I came across Joshua 21:45.  It is a reminder verse.  When the task was finished the word says, 'Not one of the good promises which the Lord had made to the house of Israel failed: ALL CAME TO PASS." (that's my capitalization)  All came to pass.
I (we) may feel bogged down now, but remember the promises.  Here are a few you may find when you Google "bible promises".
The Lord will fight for you...Exodus 14:14
He gives strength to the weary....Isaiah 40:29
So do not fear, for I am with you...Isaiah 41:10
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously...James 1:5
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins...I John 1:9
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. I Chronicles 7:14
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:19
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me ...Psalm 23:4
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them, he delivers them from all their troubles. Psalm 34:17
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
...the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well...James 5:14-15
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
ALL CAME TO PASS
We are walking through a tough time in history.  We will get bogged down.  We will feel stuck.  But then comes a reminder.  God is a promise making God.  God offers his promises to you today.
He will not leave us or forsake us.  He will be with us always.
ALL CAME TO PASS
So, shake the cobwebs out of your mind today.  Open your eyes.  Open your heart.  God is with you!  It took those in Joshua's day a long time to see the promise, but when they did it was amazing.
ALL CAME TO PASS.
With the hope of Jesus Christ living more fully each day in our lives, we walk diligently through all the mud we find around us.  With our hearts set on Jesus.
Promises.
ALL CAME TO PASS.
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: