Saturday, April 4, 2020

Reflections (Pie)

Yesterday I referenced my running days.  One of the main reasons for my commitment to exercise is PIE.  I like pie.
Cherry, Apple, and Peach pie!
Meringue Pie - Lemon, chocolate,
Cream Pie - Chocolate, banana, coconut, sour cream raisin (ok, some won't think that sounds good but it is)
How about Gooseberry, blackberry and mincemeat?
Then there are cobblers - blackberry (again, yes), peach.
Don't forget Apple crisp (one of Cindy's best), peach crisp.
Pie.
And cake is fine as well.  Angel Food, Chocolate, red velvet...
I like cupcakes.
I like other desserts. 
If I ate all this I would be in bad shape.  But these things tend to bring me joy and comfort.  Of course, that is within reason.  Too much of a good thing will mess you up.
I was thinking about my "pie" philosophy and how it relates to my new daily life. 
Sometimes I need something that is tart.  I need a challenge.  I need to be moved beyond my comfort zone.  I need to face certain realities and how they form my actions.  Tart. Lemon Meringue, Gooseberry.
Sometimes I need comfort.  I need to be encouraged.  I need a reminder that things are never as troubling as they seem at the moment.  Comfort. Cherry, Apple, Peach.
Sometimes I need a lighter load.  Angel Food cake.
Sometimes I need something hearty.  I need to dive in and get to work.  Mincemeat?  (Ok. Most of you are not interested, but believe me, it is good.)
Sometimes I need spirituality. (That is really my main thing but it is not the only piece of life) This is a good reason to lay off the "Devils Food" and stay with Angel Food!
Sometimes I need a generous portion of good news and hope.  So I turn to Gooseberry which no one else around me likes, so I can eat it all.)
Sometimes I need to limit my intake, especially of news and statistics.  A cupcake is good.
Well, this makes me hungry.  It also reminds me that I need balance.  I can't only feast on dessert!  I need fruit and vegetables.  I am looking for ways to notice all that is going on as we sit down in our virtual fellowship and more so, our family relationships. 
Please pass some meat.  Would you pass the potatoes?  I'll have some of that corn casserole.  I would love that fruit salad.
Some butter and jelly for your roll?
Water for me.
And when the meal is complete - when the day is past and it is time to rest - clean your plate.  Clean the table.  But oh yes.  Keep your fork.  Leave room for dessert!
Find joy today.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: