Monday, April 27, 2020

Reflections (Nothing Changed)

Were I to begin a conversation with you by saying, "Nothing Changed", you would  assume I was totally out of touch with the world you have been living in the past 2 months.  But here goes.  Nothing Changed.
I know the narrative is that EVERYTHING changed.  I know the circumstances of my life have been radically altered.  I recognize things that meant a great deal to me 2 months ago are not even being thought about today.  I find things I took for granted have vastly greater meaning.  So what do I mean, nothing changed.
Let me put it this way.  One time I (and I suspect you) opened my heart to Jesus Christ.  With me, it was fairly imperceptible.  Oh, it was real.  I just was spared that radical, "Damascus Road" sort of experience. 
I (and many of you) was nurtured in the faith.  My mom and dad and extended family prayed for me.  They lived a Christ-like example for me.  They taught me lessons.  They instilled a faith in my life.  It surrounded me.  They made choices for me. 
Then one day - not sure when - I started making my own choices.  It got to the place where mom did not have to tell me to "brush your teeth".  It became natural.  Lesson learned.
There are too many examples of that to even begin to note.  I think you get my point.
Faith.
There came a moment, I don't remember exactly when, that the faith of my family became my faith.  What had surrounded me for my entire life no longer worked ON me, but not lived IN me.  By faith in Jesus Christ, I was united with him.  My sin nature was crucified with Christ.  He powerfully broke the power of cancelled sin.  (You have probably sung that before.)  I will say, it took me a long time for that reality to sink in.  But the fact I had yet to catch up with God's work did not diminish God's work.
In a very real sense, my life belonged to God.  God took me in His hands and held me close.  Even though I have had plenty of missteps along the way, God has always held me close.  Still does.  Nothing Changed.
When the circumstances of the world changed - God was still God.
When financial markets went goofy - God was still God.
When sickness and death became the default for the news - God was still God.
When I worried about (too much to list)  God was still God.
Nothing Changed.
Nothing that ultimately matters.
Nothing that keeps me in relationship with Jesus.
Nothing that God wants to do in my life.
You see, nothing can separate us from the love of God. (You have read that one in Romans 8). 
Though the world change, God remains.
Nothing Changed.
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: