Monday, April 6, 2020

Reflections (Live today - Thrive tomorrow)

I heard a Christian leader use this idea.  Live today to thrive tomorrow.  It was a quote from someone but I can't recall who.  So, not my original idea (actually I do not have original ideas) but offer some thoughts on how this works out.
Live today.  Today is the day God sets before you.  Certainly you have hopes, dreams, and plans for the future.  The future (where God also dwells) draws you.  But do not neglect the moment.  How you develop and form your life (by the Spirit fashioning you today) will lead to how you thrive tomorrow. 
Paul says, "for me to live is Christ, to die is gain."  (Philippians 1:21).  To fully live, live in Christ.
Some hints to help us along that way.  Welcome the risen Lord Jesus Christ into your heart.  You may have said a pray of accepting Jesus decades ago. (or yesterday).  Refresh your relationship with Christ today.
I actually began my day with opening my heart and welcoming Jesus into my life.  I gain a fresh awareness of forgiveness and grace in my life.  I am reminded that I have the living God in me.  For me to live is Christ.
You belong to Jesus and now you have the opportunity to offer your living to him and his honor. 
For me, this begins with prayer.
I pray the Lord's Prayer multiple times during the day.  Recently I got a new thought about the prayer Jesus taught.  In its immediate context Jesus was teaching his disciples, a small group, to pray.  He uses the word "our" in the prayer.  "Our" - belonging to or associated with the speaker and one or more other people..."
Then Jesus leads his disciples in the prayer.
You belong to Jesus.  You are asking him to teach you to pray.  Now you join with Jesus in prayer.  "Our Father..."
Today you may live more fully when you realize you are actually praying with (and living with) Jesus Christ.
Prayers like this will form you.  You will find your attention going more to God and the things of God than the news and grim statistics related to the coronavirus. 
You will be making new discoveries about yourself and about life.  What is being formed in you today will lead to your thriving tomorrow.
I am not exactly what thriving tomorrow is going to look like for each of us, but I am convinced that we are people with "hope and a future". (Jeremiah 29:11)
We live by faith in the eternal, loving God, who calls us into relationship with Himself.
Live today - Thrive tomorrow.
This is the day the  Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: