Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Reflections (words)

Words.  I believe it was Rev. Charles Allen who first made me aware of the significance of words.
There are 66 words in the Lords Prayer.
There are 118 words in the 23 rd Psalm.
There are 286 words in the Gettysburg Address.
There are 1322 words in the Declaration of Independence.
Think of some of your favorites and check to see how many words it takes to communicate timeless truths.
Words.  Three words changed the direction of Cindy's and my life. 
It was like this.  Cindy and I went to a seminar at Oral Roberts University in 1976.  We had just figured out that God was calling us to change direction in our lives and enter the ministry.  I applied to some seminaries.  One of them was ORU.  I was feeling led in that direction but did not have great confidence I could get in.  I was a Physical Education major!  I could diagram the triple-option but had no theological vocabulary.  I started to fill out an application to another seminary but did not understand the terminology being used and ended up not following through.
Anyway, we are at ORU at this seminar.  Dr. Jimmy Buskirk was the preacher that evening.  We had heard Dr. Buskirk a couple of times prior to this.  He was a larger than life figure to me.  He was the preacher.
At the seminar we found another couple who had recently befriended us.  Buddy and Carol Smith would become life long friends, but we were in the early days of getting acquainted.  Actually Carol had led Cindy to a deep relationship with Jesus Christ a few months earlier.  No wonder we liked each other!
They were there.  We were hanging out together.  When the service ended people were gathered in the lobby.  Everyone wanted to greet Dr. Buskirk. 
Then we noticed Buddy and Carol going to talk with him.  They knew him.  Both being from Mississippi and having done ministry together, they were more than acquaintances. 
After they spoke for a little bit Buddy turned to Cindy and me and said, "We are going over to Jimmy and Nancy's house.  Why don't you come with us?" 
We hesitated.  What do you do when someone says let's go this larger than life figures house?  But Buddy said, "come on." 
The next thing I knew we were sitting in Dr. Buskirk's living room with our friends and his wife, Nancy.  I found myself telling him my story of what God was doing in our lives.  I also mentioned that we had applied to begin seminary at ORU but had not heard if we were accepted or not.
We talked some more.  Dr. B. (I am starting to get familiar with him now!) excused himself and went to another room.  When we were all at the door getting ready to leave, he told me he had looked through the applications that were on his desk.  Then he said, "Steve, if you want to come to ORU, it will be your decision."
Three words that changed our life.  Three words that changed the direction of our lives.  Three words that expanded our vision for what God had in store.
Three words.
You Are Accepted.
I will always be grateful for a friend who ushered me into the presence of one who would change my life. 
There is another. 
The writer of Hebrews extends an amazing word.  "Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)
It strikes me that I have been welcomed at God's throne of grace.  Furthermore, I am not required to come alone.  Jesus, who has welcomed me (and you) into relationship with him, brings us to the throne of grace.  We are introduced to God.
You are accepted.
In these days of caronavirus, let us come with great confidence to God's throne of grace.  Receive the mercy and grace that only God may provide.  This is our help in these times of need.
You are accepted.
To whom might you extend words of grace today?
Might I add another line I picked up later. 
Accept your acceptance.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: