Saturday, April 25, 2020

Reflections (Preparing)

You have been preparing.  You may not have realized it, but you have been preparing for times like this.
You let someone go in front of you at a line in the grocery store.  You were preparing to put others before yourself.
You remembered an old friend and gave them a call.  You were preparing to be an encourager.
You gave faithfully to your church.  You were preparing to be generous with very needy people.
You took a day off to do something with your family  You were preparing to spend quality time with loved ones.
You practiced your regular routines.  You were preparing for when life was anything but routine.
The list goes on and on. 
Take a few minutes and reflect on all those things you did/do that have helped make this uneasy time something you find yourself taking in stride.
When I was in high school I was a pretty good free throw shooter in basketball.  That was probably due to all the practice I put in.  For fun, I would shoot 100 free throws.  My expectation was that I would make at least 90 of them.  If not, I would do it again.  That translated to being above average in a game when it counted. 
Imagine my surprise when I went to shoot two free throws in a tie game with only a couple of seconds on the clock.  I assumed I would make them.  Missed 'em both.  Are you kidding me.  It worked out.  We won in overtime.
What do you do when you are practiced up (prayed up) and things do not work out like you anticipate?  Do you quit and vow never to shoot another free throw?  Probably not.  Do you get mad and never re-engage.  Probably not.  Do you make an adjustment and move forward.  Probably.  Do you keep practicing and have things work out next time.  Probably.
I did get another chance a few games later.  Hit 4 free throws at the end of a game that our team won.
Each day you are contributing to the overall victory the world will know.  Caronavirus will not define life for the next 100 years! 
You have been preparing/being prepared for these times.  Really!  So, don't sell yourself short.  Each day you make a contribution to the on-going work of God as He works redemptively in these days. 
Thanks for your practice.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: