Thursday, April 16, 2020

Reflections (Overheard)

My introduction to music was overheard.  I overheard the music my mom listened to.  She had records.  Many remember "33" rpm albums.  Big vinyl discs that spun around on a turntable.  I overheard her music.
Al Hirt - played the clarinet.  New Orleans Jazz.
Glen Miller - big  band.
Bert Kaempfert - Wonderland By Night (1960 in case anyone is interested)
Mitch Miller.
Should not forget the Lawrence Welk Show.
I overheard mom's music.  It led to discovering my own.
The first 45 recording I ever got was either Return to Sender by Elvis, or Big John by Jimmy Dean.  (Sadly I still know the words to Big John!)
A book on my shelf is Overhearing the Gospel, by Fred Craddock.  He told us that we sometimes need a "new hearing" of the Gospel.  We need to hear again the old, old story.  We may overhear the Gospel in new forms and methods and discover the application of the Good News to our own lives.
In these days of Covid-19  there is much noise but not much music.
There is news, news, news - but not much music.
There are reports of sickness and death - but not much music.
There are theories flying everywhere - but not much music.
There is fear in the air - but not much music.
There are possible scenarios of disaster attacking our minds - but not much music.
But  when we listen closely we overhear music. 
We overhear Good News.
We overhear the Gospel.
Listen -
Zephaniah 3:17  (Most of us did not know there was a Zephaniah in the Bible).
"The Lord your God is among you; He is mighty to save.  He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you with His love; He will rejoice over you with singing."
In the din of static all around us, we may overhear God singing over us.
Listen.
Overhear. 
Then you will say, I overheard the music of my  God, and discovered my own as He sang over me.
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: