Thursday, April 30, 2020

Reflections (Art)

For those of us who derive the majority of our sense of purpose and value from what we produce, these are nearly intolerable times. 
Let that sink in.
Do you gain your sense of value from what you produce?  Is it in what you do - your work -that provides your value?
How's that working for you these days?
I have read an author named Seth Godin for several years.  He blogs EACH day.  Every day.  No exceptions.  I considered not staying with him.  He kept writing about producing art.  He stresses making and shipping art. 
I thought, I am no artist.  This is not applying to me. 
But what he talks about is how we look at what we do.  You do not just "work".  You produce art.  That is the value you share.
I keep thinking about this.
My sense of value has often been defined by what I produce.  In ministry we call it "fruit".  What we really expected was more, more, and more.  More members.  More in attendance.  More in the offering.  More groups.  More, more, more.  Work, work, work.
What if rather than trying to do more work, and gain value from what I produce along with the affirmation and approval that comes, I did art.
Art.
That is a new look on work.  Art provides value for someone else. 
Art is what we offer for others.
Art is what we contribute for the benefit of others.
Art is the story we tell, the picture we create, the idea we promote, the labor we do.
These days I am not very "productive".  But that is okay.  I am discovering joy in finding purpose and meaning, not in what I "produce" but in what I am able to offer. 
Find your gift.  Be an artist.  Offer to others.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: