Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Reflections (Squirrels)

During this season of "stay-at-home" what have you "noticed" that has always been there?  What are some of the things that have attracted your attention?  What are you seeing, perhaps for the first time, or at least the first time in a long time?
Squirrels.
I keep noticing squirrels.  They have always been there.  I have always seen squirrels.  But now I find  myself noticing squirrels.
I have even developed some interest in squirrels.  Who knew they were part of the Sciuridae  family.  I am not sure I even knew squirrels were in the rodent family.  I probably knew that, but it was not something that registered with me day by day.
There are ground squirrels, chipmunks, (I do remember Chip and Dale cartoons) marmots, flying squirrels, (was that a flying squirrel in Rocky and Bullwinkle?) and prairie dogs.
I just noted more about squirrels than I think I ever thought about.
The first thing that got my attention during this stay-at-home time, was how squirrels seemed to be playing together.  I started noticing them in pairs, not only alone. 
Squirrels.
What might you "notice" today?  What might stir a new, deeper, sense of appreciation in your soul?
Moments alone.  I appreciate time to reflect and hear the voice of God.
Times of conversation.  Even a brief greeting with another human being offers a moment of gratitude.  It is important to recognize God in others.  (I do long to be back in community with others.)
Sunrise.  Not only does a new day begin, but new hopes and promises rise.
Sunset.  Here is gratitude for another day.
A simple meal.  The God who is "our daily bread" shows himself faithful yet again.
A tasty take out meal.  The God who is abundant with blessings smiles.
The sound of a child.  Life with unlimited possibilities.
The older adult.  A testimony to faithfulness.
Squirrels!  During meetings I tend to lose interest.  I chase squirrels! 
But not always.  Squirrels are not merely distractions and nuisances.  What has always been there could be seen in a new light.  A gift. 
Squirrels playing.  A smile.  Notice.  Something more than I have always expected.
Ask God to let you notice something today.  Open your eyes and heart to The Lord who puts things in fresh and redemptive perspectives.  The familiar may become the sacred.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: