Saturday, April 11, 2020

Reflections (Gap)

Saturdays seem odd to me.  When I was a kid, Saturdays meant cartoons and a day that was different.  As I got a little older Saturdays were remembered by getting to watch baseball - the Game off the Week.  Sure enough, there was one game on  TV, not every game every day.  In football season there was a game to watch.  Saturdays.
When I got older still, Saturdays were date days.  Cindy and I would go to a movie. 
When I went into ministry Saturdays were preparation days.  Sunday was coming.  I stopped going out on Saturday night and instead went to bed extra early. 
When I started holding Saturday evening worship, the day changed again. 
Saturday.  What do you do on Saturday?
I read the story of Jesus and really cannot get a grip on Saturday.  For them it was the Sabbath.  They had seen Jesus taken down, dead, from the cross.  They placed his body in a tomb.  Some went away.  Some rested.  They all waited.  The story goes silent.
Perhaps some of the women talked together about their desire to go to the tomb early in the morning and care for Jesus' body.
The disciples evidently were scared to death.  They huddled together.  Quiet?  Worried?  Anxious?  Exhausted?
The unbelievers were going about their lives, business as usual.  The events of the day were lost on them.
Saturday.
What am I going to do today?  I've already done Maundy Thursday.  We joined in the Good Friday service last evening.  I've got an idea of what Sunday might feel like.  And although it will be so different from usual, it will be good.  As a matter of fact, this Easter may be the most authentic Easter I have ever experienced.  But we will come to that later.
Right now. Saturday?
It will not be an Easter egg hunt.  We are isolated.
Will not be going to get a new suit.  Businesses are closed.
No plans for a big family dinner.  Social distancing.
So, I will wait. 
I will pray.
I will think about the Lord.
I will anticipate what God might do next.
I have a tremendous advantage over those earliest witnesses.  (So do you?)
I have the joy of considering what this new resurrection life is going to be like.
But today, I wait.  I pray.  I am not exactly sure what to do with myself.
By, the way, that is what a lot of these days feel like.  I think I am learning some things.  I think I am beginning to get a sense of the new world God is unfolding. 
I don't see it yet.  It's Saturday.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice.  And be glad in it.
steve

No comments: