Thursday, April 23, 2020

Reflections (moving chair)

It was several years ago when John and his daughter Joyce came into my office.  His wife had recently passed away and he wanted to talk with me about a memorial gift to the church.  They sat across from my desk and we talked about different possibilities.  As is true in most of those situations they already had an idea.  It became clear as we talked.  They were thinking of making a contribution to the church to purchase Bibles for us to use.  I thought it was a great idea.
John wrote out a check.  He leaned forward to hand it to me.  I stood up from behind my desk and reached out and received the check with a word of gratitude.
He leaned back.  I sat down. 
My chair moved.
Rather than sitting centered in my chair I hit the front edge.  The chair went back and I went down.  Suddenly I was gone.  Nowhere to be seen from the other side of the desk! 
I did not stay down long.  I got up.  Rearranged the chair and took my seat. 
They had a look of concern on their faces. 
I was fighting back the temptation to laugh out loud. 
"Are you alright?"  They were kind and gracious. 
I was fine. 
I kept the check.  They took their leave and left me alone.  Frankly, I am still laughing at the image.  I found myself chuckling about my misadventure through the day.  When I drove home I laughed out loud.
My chair moved.
I suppose I could have got mad at the chair.  Chairs are inanimate objects.  It did not do anything.  I could have gotten angry with myself, but why.  It was hilarious.  I could have decided then and there to never trust a chair again.  (I have sat down in five chairs this morning with no problems.)
It strikes me that we are living through a time when our chairs keep moving.  Many of our assumptions - the chair will always stay in place and never move - are being challenged.  Chairs keep moving. 
Most days we notice.  We adjust.  We seldom fall on the seat of our pants.  But we could.
Hopefully I am discovering some lessons during Covid-19. 
Many people are in dire circumstances.  I am learning to pray for people in nations who could easily face famine in the months ahead.  It makes my irritation about lines at the store melt to nothing.
There are people who are sick.  I give thanks for health.
There are people who are hopeless.  I give thanks for an abiding peace and the hope that comes.
Chairs are moving.
I have my moments.  I will continue to fall on the seat of my pants.  And when I do I will be thankful for those who witness my mishaps and express concern.
When I fall on the floor I will seek to do so with good humor. After all, this really isn't all about me.  I am simply making daily adjustments to life.  Where is that chair!
Today don't be shocked if you find your chair has moved.  Chances are almost 100% that you will notice and adjust without thinking about it. 
There may be an anxious moment.  But chances are good you will notice and adjust as you find your new center.
You may fall on the seat of your pants.  If you do, know that we are watching.  We won't even laugh (at least until we see you are fine).  We will care. We will shown concern.  We will probably chuckle when we get back to the car as we picture that preacher falling out of his chair.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Thank you, Steve. Chairs are moving. God is at work. Amen and Amen.