Sunday, April 19, 2020

Reflections (I gave away the house)

I first met him when he would come to the door.  There would be a knock on the door or the bell would ring.  Once he inquired about lawn care.  Another time he was interested in painting the house.  At other times it was roofing or foundation work. 
Once the knock came and was seeking to register me to vote.
Once there was an opportunity to stand on the steps and visit. 
He became an acquaintance.
Over time the relationship began to form.  He went from someone I met to someone who became a close acquaintance.  We would meet and wave at one another or exchange a smile and greeting.
Once I invited him in and we sat and talked. 
From acquaintance toward friendship.
Then once we had him over for dinner.  We enjoyed a meal together.  We began to share in fellowship with one another.
That meal led to others. 
Once it became apparent he was looking for a place to stay.  He became our guest.  A house guest. 
We talked at length.  He had a vision for what we could do with the place.  He kept straightening things up where ever he was. 
After some time, I gave him the house.  Signed it over to him.  I was not sure what he would do with it but the first thing I realized was that although ownership had changed, I was more than welcome to remain.  The main difference was that I lived in the house without charge.
He undertook some work.  There was some foundation repair that I had not even noticed.  He shored up the foundation.
There was a renovation project in the basement.  I could not even recognize it when he finished.  It was great!
He renewed one room after another.  Fresh paint.  New flooring.  All new appliances.  The house was made new.
He asked me about the attic.  I had never been there.  He cleaned it and restored it.
 It was the same but different.  It was the same house but more than I could have ever pictured.  Amazing.
It was like a mansion.
One day he told me that this newly made house was a tiny picture of a place he had prepared for me in another place.  But that is another story.
The house is my life.
I gave it to Jesus.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

This blessed my soul. Thank you.