Sunday, May 17, 2020

Reflections (round about)

Many of us spend time each day in prayer.  Many of us pray "The Lord's Prayer".  This becomes an essential piece of our prayer life.  So, even today, I have prayed a radical prayer.  I put myself in the very presence of the living God, I found myself praying with my Lord Jesus, in the power of the Holy Spirit, and said; "Thy kingdom come, THY WILL BE DONE,..."
God's will be done.
How often we struggle with this thing called "will".
My will often takes the form of a mountainous road in a place like Guatemala.  My will seems like driving around Branson.  Curves are very sharp.  Inclines are very steep.
Sometimes my will resembles a "round-about".  (I am not sure who dreamed these up but I have yet to become fully accustomed to them.)  My will seems to go in circles.  Do I go this direction or keep moving?  Do I get off here.  Wow, that was a sharp curve!
Contrast that with God's will. 
God's will is often like a "highway in the desert".  Isaiah 40:3. "A voice of one calling, 'Prepare the way for the Lord in the wilderness, make a straight highway for our God in the desert."
God's will is not easy.  Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane "let this cup pass."  (A reference to the impending suffering and death that was before him.)  "But not my will but yours (Father God) be done."
At times God's will seems hard.  But God's will does not go around in circles.  God's will need not be lived in sharp curves and steep inclines.  God's will is not some secret, hidden agenda.  God's will is found in a word. "Yes". 
God's will leads to wonder.  Jesus rose from the garden, committed to the Father's will.  God's will led to resurrection!  This is the greatest outcome ever devised! 
God's will for your life may seem challenging, but really, it is easy once we say yes.  It becomes more like the "yoke" Jesus spoke of.  His yoke is not a heavy burden.  His yoke is light.  We are joined on the path with the Living Lord who makes all things possible.  We walk a path - the will of God - that leads to resurrection glory!
Say yes today.  Not my will, but your will be done.
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: