Thursday, May 14, 2020

Reflections (danger)

In 1982 a movie was released titled, The Year of Living Dangerously.    It was based on a book which was based on the overthrow of Jakarta.  It was a romance/drama.  (Not what I tend to enjoy).  I am not sure why I thought of that this morning.  I think I saw it but it was not very impacting.
When I went back and looked at the plot I found three themes that catch my attention. Love, craft, and danger.
It is a dangerous time, when journalists perform their craft in deeply committed ways, and love takes a significant role in the story.
That's enough of my amateur film reviews of old, mainly forgotten, movies.
I jump into the present.  Coronavirus will be the word associated with this season for years to come.  People will write books.  Movies will be made.  You get the idea.  We are truly living history in the making.
This is a "year of living dangerously".  Covid-19 is dangerous.  It appears to be as contagious as the measles (or whatever our most contagious virus is.)  It feels like it could be as lethal as AIDS, although that may be an overstatement.  In 1984 is was reported that 1,294 died out of 3,064 diagnosed.  That was, and continues to be a horrible statistic.
No matter how you work it, the coronavirus is dangerous.
I have a hunch that a great challenge we will undertake and overcome, revolves around our attitude toward "danger".  Our culture has developed a "risk averse" mentality.  That is certainly not all bad.  I am no fan of reckless risk!
But this gets confusing.  We strive to improve safety standards.  Good.
But we will never eliminate danger from the world.  Reality.
The challenge we may face is navigating through a dangerous world. 
The AIDS epidemic moved from a "death sentence" mentality when it was diagnosed, to a manageable condition today.  We found the way to navigate through danger.  We will do so again.
I would rather be actively seeking how to live through danger than merely settle for sitting back waiting for something that may not materialize.  (Do I need to go read Waiting for Godot?)
I need to get back on track.  We live in dangerous times.
Craft.  In the film noted, journalists performed their craft, in the danger.  Part of our discovery of living through coronavirus will be figuring out how to exercise our crafts in ways that contribute to the general welfare. 
We note first responders.  We pray for those who check out our groceries.  We are recognizing great value in many people.  Perform your craft.  I will admit this may be easier for me (entering retirement, than a young person needing to engage the workplace daily).  But we will learn how to do our craft in creative and contributing ways.
Love.  Part of navigating these times will be renewed love.  To come through this with strength, will take love for family, friends, and life.  Above all love for God will give us a gift and strength to navigate the danger of the virus.
Love will see us through our fear. 
Love will motivate us to move wisely and strategically through our day.
Love will sustain us.
The days are dangerous. 
The times call for wise discernment in how we go about our life.
The days call for us to live.
Live wisely.  Live well.
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: