Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Reflections (decisions)

The first paying job I remember, other than hay field, was mowing the cemetery at Appleton City.  I know this sounds like the beginning of a joke but this was our crew. 
Our manager was a Baptist deacon, the other adult worker was the "town drunk".  (I know we don't refer to folks like that now.  I get that.  But this was in the late 60's.  That communicated.) The other worker was me, a high school kid. (probably a freshman or so)  The adults used riding mowers.  My job was go use a hand mower around the graves.  (This was before weed eaters had been invented).
One day as we were completing our work we were discussing what needed to be done the next day.  I listened in on the conversation.
Our leader said we had a lot to do and needed to get everything done.  Memorial Day was coming.  That was a really big day for cemeteries.  We wanted it looking nice for the holiday.There was some discussion back and forth.  I do not remember having any input.  I just listened.
Then the conversation took this turn.
They were talking about how much we needed to get done and when.  Our manager was pushing to get things done.  The other fellow was not in a big hurry.  I had no opinion.
Manager: We need to get this done.
Worker: There's no rush.  It will be here tomorrow.
Manager (Baptist Deacon): There is no guarantee there will be a tomorrow.  The Lord could come tonight.
Worker (town drunk): If he comes tonight we won't need to mow anything anyway.
It seems strange but that conversation and experience has stayed with me.  From my current perspective I discover some things involved that contribute to my decision making.
Urgency:  We need to get this done.  There are days and times when the urgent takes over.  Sometimes we need to drop everything and tend to the urgent.  A problem I have found is when we make everything urgent! 
Patience, or long-term thinking: It will be there tomorrow.  Look at the big picture.  Have a more relaxed attitude.  We will get it done.  Be patient.
Faithfulness:  The Lord might come!  The lesson is live everyday with faithfulness.  Don't try to do things you can't do and don't slack.  Be faithful.
Trust:  The need could change overnight.  The Lord will not change.
I have wrestled with the balance of these issues all my life.  These matters have impacted how I have gone about ministry.  In these times of coronavirus I find the same things factoring into my thinking.
Urgency.
Patience.
Faithfulness.
Trust.
I try to manage the urgent.  I don't want the urgent to become the frantic.  I am willing to drop things and tend to what is directly in front of me.  But I do not construct my life around the urgent.
Patience.  We make all kinds of jokes about patience, but it is a vital part of our life attitude.  Sometimes we must wait.  We have no control.  I cannot control whether or not we have a vaccine for coronavirus sooner or later.  I have things to do.  I have life to live.  I do so with patience.  (God help us all with this!)
Faithfulness.  Whatever comes along I seek to be faithful.  I want to live each day by the grace supplied.  I seek to be found faithful whatever comes along.
Trust.  By God's Spirit, I will trust in the Lord.  I will rely on God.  I resist self-reliance and turn more fully each day to Christ. 
I continually look for balance in all this. 
Today what jumps out at me is faithfulness and trust.  How do you see these things in your life?
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: