Friday, May 8, 2020

Reflections (anniversary)

Today would have been Robert and Esther Lou Breon's 68th wedding anniversary.  They were married on May 8, 1952.  I am looking at their wedding picture as I write these words.  I am sure they had no idea all that was in store for them over the 66 years they lived life together. 
Dad went to heaven on January 18, 2019.  Today mom resides in the Memory Care unit of her living facility.  She is well cared for.  She does not remember much.  But I remember a lot!
During these covid-19 days I am reminded of what it is to live life.  There are amazingly good and peaceful times and there are deeply challenging times.
Mom and dad lived through good and bad. 
I reflect and surmise that the most dangerous time I lived through was from October 16-October 28, 1962.  That was the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I have no remembrance of it.  But after 10 years of marriage I figure mom and dad were very aware.  They lived life.  They took care of me (and John who was born in April of 1962.)  Grateful.
I share this for a couple of reasons.  One, I want to honor my parents on this day.  I also want to encourage people that we have always and will always (until Christ comes in victory) live in and through peril. 
These days are unprecedented yet not something to catch us off guard. 
We have children to raise.  It might be different but they still need cared for.
We have prayers to offer.  They may sound different but they are heard in heaven!
We have neighbors to look after.  It may seem different but the opportunity continues.
We have bills to pay, investments to make, groceries to purchase ...may seem different but life continues.
We eat.  We sleep.  We take care of ourselves.  It seems different but it continues.
We have parents - living or not - to honor.  Mom and dad looked at lot different in 1952.  I find a smile on my face as I look at their picture.  I find a joyful emotion in my heart as I think of their hand in molding my life and so many others.
Who might you honor today?
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

2 comments:

hummie said...

Steve I think that this is great that you honor your parents this way, When we think back to when we were young our memories are a wonderful thing. I have so enjoyed your daily blog’s and I hope that you continue for as long as we are dealing with this virus thing. You are a blessing to our family and also to PWUMC!!

Mary Jane said...

What a tribute to your parents! You and they were/are truly blessed.