Sunday, July 27, 2008

Reflections from Sunday evening

Vacation's over. This morning Andrea and I went to church at St. Peter UMC in Blue Springs. Megan is still heckling me! Something about needing to turn up the sound so I (the old folks) could hear! I resisted the temptation to heckle back. Actually she did a very good job and seemed right at home in her new place of service.

I had been back to the church (I started it in 1982) since moving from there in 1990. But the times I had attended had been special services or there for a specific purpose. I don't think I had just gone to church there since I left. It was fun. I saw lots of people I have known for years. For some reason many of them look older than I remember! I did see one lady whose husband passed away this year. We both teared up. It was a reminder of the sense of community God had established in that place. People get connected when the Lord brings them together. It was still really good to be there.

This month I finished reading "UnChristian," "The Last Real Season" (a baseball book about the Texas Ranger in 1975 - a fun read), "Leadership Secrets of Atilla the Hun" (don't worry), "Crisis" (a medical thriller novel) and "The Millennium Matrix." This is an amazing book. It talks about the shifts in culture and communication from Oral to Print to Broadcast to Digital. It is very informative and challenging. It deals with the pace of change that we all must incorporate into our lives. It is a book anyone interested in where we go as a church should read -- "The Millennium Matrix" by M. Rext Miller.

Well that about does it for time off. I'm back to church for VBS in the morning and then off to a meeting in Columbia. There is much to do. I'll share the next sermon series with you soon. Boy have I got some ideas!

No comments: