Tuesday, July 8, 2008

UnChristian

I finished reading a book titled "Unchristian" by David Kinnaman. He works for a research firm (Barna) and compiles the results of surveys taken that show what younger people who are not part of the church think about Christianity. I found the book very challenging. I have a pretty good idea of what I believe and why. It becomes apparent that many younger people (who are imperative we connect with Jesus Christ) have very different ideas about some things many of us accept.

Many people who are not involved in the church (even though they may have a church background) see Jesus in ways that do not draw them to Christ. There are six attitudes that are given.
1. Hypocritical
2. Get Saved (only seem to care about getting someone converted and then forget them)
3. Anti-homosexual
4. Sheltered (we seem to hang together and avoid the world)
5. Too Political
6. Judgmental

If you read the book you will understand why these issues become barriers to people outside the faith coming into the church.

The issues listed pose challenges to me. But that is fine. As a matter of fact it is good to be challenged otherwise we (I) tend to get settled and stagnant. UnChristian will help move us out of normally accepted opinions and give a fresh perspective on how people see life and where a relationship with Jesus Christ could become real. The bottom line is a challenge. Do what it takes to help someone discover a vital relationship with Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Veggiehead said...

I'm not quite finished with the book yet, but it's already fascinating...

The differences between the different age groups and their outlook on life and faith are really striking. I keep stopping my reading of the book to make my wife listen while I read her an interesting fact I just read...sure sign of a thought provoking book.

Thanks for recommending it. I hope it helps me gain some insight into the outlook of my children on faith as they grow up in this world that is so different in the one that you and I grew up in.