Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4

Do they celebrate the Fourth of July in England? ---- Of course they do - it is July 4th everywhere. I imagine you remember that little joke from those kids books we used to read (or maybe I'm the only one who liked joke books when I was a kid). What they may not do in England is celebrate losing the War and seeing America gain independence!

Today is our Independence Day. Every year I think similar thoughts. We do all the parades, cook-outs, fireworks and day off things but do we stop for a moment and breathe a prayer that says "thanks for the gift of freedom"? Might we also ask God to extend the blessing of freedom to others?

I walked around the neighborhood this morning. I went to the "Y" and worked out. I finished reading a book (more about UnChristian later). Never once have I felt my life threatened today. I did not fear a bombing at the "Y." I never thought terrorists or insurgents or anyone was going to blow up our neighborhood this morning. We have some tremendous freedoms.

I know violence is far more prevalent in our society than it should be. I know terrible things happen to people every day. But I also know we enjoy a level of security and freedom that most of the world cannot identify with.

So ... how about taking a moment when the fireworks go off tonight to say "Thanks" to God who for some strange, mysterious reason has set us on a hillside to be a light of possibility to the world. With grace comes awesome responsibility.

No comments: