Friday, July 25, 2008

Politics?

My "conferencing" is finished for the time being. This has been my adventure in "church politics." Motions, substitute motions, amendments, point of order, ballots, negotiating, elections ... It has reminded me of some things I appreciate. The thought hit me toward the end of jurisdictional conference as we were trying to electing the final bishop that I would soon be going home to the church I serve. I would be preaching, praying and serving the people of Platte Woods UMC. It was a good feeling.

Which also reminds me of my personal opinion that affects what I preach about. I stay out of politics. I know this is the political season. We will elect a new president this year. It is very significant. There is much at stake. We all take our responsibilities in a democracy seriously. But you will not hear me endorsing some candidate. I tend not to preach about the political issues of the day. That does not mean I do not have an opinion: I simply choose not to use the pulpit to try and advance my personal opinions about such things.

I do use the pulpit to try to advance my opinions about some things. I want to influence people to have a meaningful and growing relationship with Jesus Christ. I want to influence people to trust the work of the Holy Spirit in their lives and world. I could go on about this but that is material for another day.

When someone wonders why they do not hear me "take a stand" on the issues of the day it is because I feel called to preach the gospel instead of assuming the role of a mature politician. I got plenty of that in the church arena this spring. Of course, if you want to talk about that I am more than happy to do so. As a matter of fact if you want to get in a discussion about energy, the economy, war, healthcare, education or just about anything else, feel free to ask. I do have some opinions.

No comments: