Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Reflections & Jurisdictional Conference

First, we finished electing bishops at Jurisdictional Conference. We elected Jim Dorff at 10:16 p.m. Friday night. (I think that is what my note says.) It was late. We finished up a little business and about 10:30 took a break while the committee went out to decide where the bishops would serve. They came back at 1:30 a.m. and we finished up our business. Bishop Schnase was assigned to Missouri for another four years. I am thankful for this. All the sitting bishops were returned to their area. The three new bishops were assigned to conferences in Texas. Most people in our churches don't seem to care a great deal about who is the bishop in San Antonio. I am one of a few who really gets invested in this. I am thankful for the opportunity to play a role in these matters that affect the general church.

On another note ... Cindy and I went to my home church in Appleton City this morning. They have a new preacher. He is good and going to do very well. I keep seeing some really good young preachers! Of course we are totally blessed but there are others out there. I could not help but think about a lot of things as I sat in church and listened to the sermon on grace. (Couldn't have done better myself!) The sanctuary that seemed so big to a little boy looks smaller today. The communion rail could hold about 15 people kneeling for communion. I've knelt there many times. I've seen it filled with people praying during revivals. I remembered kneeling there for my baptism and confirmation. They have remodeled the Sunday School rooms. I saw the room I used to go to for my Vacation Bible School class. The building looks really nice. Neat. Painted. Of course the best part was seeing the people. Larry and Karla, Leland and Becky, Mick and Susan were there. I grew up with these folks. Madge (Phillip's mom) was there. Ron McEwan was an usher. He is older than I am. His dad was our Sunday School teacher and one of the greatest spiritual influences on a whole group of us. Linda played the piano. She was my grade school music teacher! She has enjoyed much more success than teaching me to sing.

It was a great place to spend time this morning. I am thankful for the church that brought me along. Now I am getting ready to get back into the swing of things here. Give me a few more days and I'll do something again. It is renewing to know we are building memories and experiences here at PWUMC. Many of you can look around our church and remember. Believe me, things are happening here. This is a place where God is alive. I am grateful to be able to share some of the Spirit that touched my life years ago in new ways. It's been a good day. I hope you had a good day as well.

No comments: