Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Reflections

Roller coasters.
Some people love to ride roller coasters.  Some (of us) are not so thrilled.
I was maybe 7 years old and was with my family at the State Fair.  I saw this ride called the Wild Mouse.  It was a roller coaster.  I begged dad to take me on the Wild Mouse.  He agreed.  We started up and when we came to the first turn, the front end of the car we were in extended over the edge and then made a sharp turn.  I had no concept of how a roller coaster worked.  I knew nothing of wheels on tracks I could not see.  Anyway, I would have gotten off the ride in the middle of it if I could have.  Thankfully dad kept me in the seat for the duration.  When we got off I was pale and my legs were wobbly.  Even my grandfather got a kick out of how I looked.  I guess I shook it off and took off for the next thing.  But that basically defined my ideas of roller coasters.  Too scary.  Didn't like it.  Done with that.
Fast forward a few years.  I'm probably in the eighth grade or so.  Lot's of kids from my home town of Appleton City, got on a school bus and headed for Kansas City for a day at Fairyland Park.  OK, that was before World's of Fun.  It was the Kansas City amusement park on the south side of town. 
Some of us boys knew there was this mammoth roller coaster at Fairyland Park.  So we talked big about how we were going to ride it.  We were bold.  We were brave.
Then the park came into view.  Towering over everything else was the roller coaster at Fairyland Park.  We all got silent.  Soon came the moment of reckoning.  Are we going to ride this thing or not.  But we were all in it together.  Nobody could opt out.  I suppose I looked at that thing and had old visions of the Wild Mouse...but I shook it off, and with some fear and trepidation climbed on board.
Up we went.  Down we came.  And we had a blast!  We finished one ride and could not wait to get on again.  We rode that thing all day. 
Fast forward a few more years.  I was a young pastor with a youth group from a small town in
North Central Missouri.  The kids pretty much insisted I ride the roller coaster with them.  I don't remember if it was the Zambezi Zinger, the Orient Express, or what.  But there I was, walking up the ramp to ride the thing.  I don't remember much about it.  But I certainly survived.
Fast forward a few more years.  Once again I was at Worlds of Fun.  Our son, Bobby, was a little guy.  I took him for a ride on a pretty tame roller coaster.  In reflection it was probably similar to the Wild Mouse, but now I was the stable factor.  We experienced it together.
So, there is my roller coaster history.
Today many of us feel like we are on a roller coaster.  One day, or moment, we are very hopeful and positive.  Suddenly we get very pessimistic and fearful.  We find ourselves in prayer time and stand up feeling encouraged.  We look around and feel doubt.  We read the Bible and have hope.  We read an article on-line and get discouraged. 
Roller coaster.
You can read the 25th chapter of Deuteronomy and go from the heights of blessing to the depths of curses in five minutes!  (I don't suggest that today.)
Up and down. 
Roller coaster.
These are our emotions today.  I look to you who love to ride roller coasters.  What lesson can you teach me that I may apply to life in caronavirus days? 
What have I discovered through my experience?  I suppose the one thing that stands out to me goes back to the day at Fairyland Park.  There was a group of kids.  I think we were all scared.  I know we were all in it together.  Together, we not only endured, we found joy.
One day when Jesus was facing a next step in his life, "He was determined to go to Jerusalem." (Luke 9:51)
We see Jesus facing a challenge.  We see Jesus looking ahead to some things that very well seemed uncertain.  We see Jesus aware of danger.  But primarily, we see Jesus determined.  Jesus was steadfast.  Jesus set his sights on his goal.  I am going to try to follow Jesus today.
Remember, you are not alone.  We are all in this thing together.  And better yet, Jesus is going ahead of us.
Someone may need to be reminded that they are not alone.  Drop an email, send a text, give someone a call.  Together we will walk through this and not only survive, we will find joy.
This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: