Monday, March 23, 2020

Reflections

It is a new day.  A new week.  A new step in our caronavirus battle. 
I have already had two reminders today. 
1. That which is vital and most important is "love one another".  My devotions took me to John 13:34.  Jesus tells his disciples, "A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
This is the new way of living as Christ followers.  Love one another.  Does that mean love those in your immediate circle?  Jesus was speaking specifically to a small group of disciples.  Do we limit love?
 Does that mean love fellow believers?  Does the love command expand the circle?   That would be a logical application. 
Or does that mean love everyone?  Jesus already got that message of loving your enemies out for the disciples to chew on.  Does the circle of love extend to the whole world? 
Here is what you might try.  Begin by loving those in your close circle.  Love your family.  Say a prayer for your kids.  Practice love for those dearest to you.
Next expand your circle of love.  Love those who share your faith.  Pray for the church.  Pray for all those seeking to know and follow Christ.
Do another expansion of love.  Pray for the world.  We are all in this thing together.  You have been given a great gift and opportunity.  Love one another!  Expand the circle of love.
For extra credit - Consider that we are invited to love and treat one another (see above) as Jesus loves and treats us. 
You might want to have that conversation with someone today.  How are you experiencing the love of Jesus today?
2. We are learning a new way.  For years I have contemplated something I heard from Len Sweet many years ago.  Basically, it is the idea that we are immigrants in a new culture.  I have thought about the limited technological abilities I have developed.  It is similar to speaking a few words of another language and being able to find the basics.  But that was about it. 
A few days ago the world changed.  All of a sudden I find myself barely able to communicate.  I do not know the native language of this culture.
So I, and I expect many of you, have some catching up to do.  I choose to see this as a new day with new and emerging opportunities to learn and master something new.  We are going to find new ways of living our daily lives.  We will find new ways of relating to one another.  We will find new ways to worship and put our faith in action.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: