Wednesday, August 6, 2008

what's going on?

I'm thinking about Hot August Nites (HAN) this morning. It looks cloudy. By tomorrow I'll know if everything went according to plans (Walter and the group playing while we eat ice cream and have fellowship and look at some of the various ministries offered here) or we had to scramble inside because it rained! It is one of those things you can't know until it happens.

This is what life is like. Here at the church we are working diligently to develop an environment that will produce fruitful ministry. By fruitful ministry I am thinking of reaching new people with the gospel of Jesus Christ and helping many others find ways to grow in God's grace. We plan and join for worship. We offer a variety of faith development opportunities. We provide ways for people to be involved in hands-on mission. We strategize about ways to extend radical hospitality to our community. We encourage generosity.

Here is one of my personal frustrations. I can work with everyone and do the things we need to do in order to help make disciples for Jesus Christ, but I can't produce any fruit! That should really not be a surprise to any of us. After all, an apple tree produces fruit naturally, not by trying harder. So if you are ever sitting around wondering how to pray for the preacher -- here is a thought. Pray for me to be able to lead the church to develop the greatest environment for faith disciple making that is possible. Then pray I have the faith to trust God for His faithfulness in seeing the fruit produced.

This weekend I hope everyone will begin making their way back to worship. The sermon is "What I Did This Summer." It will highlight some of my fresh thoughts about purpose, mission and vision. I'm ready to go!

Next week we have our "Kickoff" weekend. The focus will be on Intentional Faith Development. Curtis and I are teaming up for the sermon. If you are familiar with "Game Day" with a college football game you will find some similarities! (I get to be Lee Corso!)

The following weekend I will begin a sermon series on change. "Seven Seasons of Change" will look at various parts of our culture and life and seek to discover how we might thrive in the midst of this rapidly changing culture.

So there is a good bit going on. I look forward to sharing the life of grace with each of you as we move toward the end of summer and beginning of a new season.

No comments: