Friday, August 29, 2008

Ephraim

I was reading in John's gospel this morning. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. Maybe he "revived" him. Somehow Jesus brought Lazarus back to life after he'd been dead. I don't think this is the same thing that happens to Jesus in the resurrection and what lies ahead of us but I am getting away from the point I want to make.

After Jesus does this miracle some religious leaders get together and decide his reward should be dying. It is somewhat amazing. Perhaps a principle uncovered is "success will turn some folks against you." I'm not trying to figure all this out. What struck me this morning was what Jesus did after the miracle and following the conflict.

"Jesus therefore no longer walked about openly among the Jews, but went to a town called Ephraim in the region near the wilderness and he remained there with the disciples." (John 11:54 NRSV)

So here is God's word coming to me through this verse. I (we all) need an Ephraim. That can't mean we need a vacation. This is the end of summer. Vacations are done! We don't need a place in the mountains or something like that. Ephraim is near the wilderness. We don't merely need to get alone. He remained there with his disciples.

So here is what I think our Ephraim is. It is where we go with those we love (family, friends) to collect ourselves in the midst of ministry.

Early in the week I was around some other clergy and found the opportunity to share together was renewing. I think I went to Ephraim earlier this week!

I'll keep thinking on this one. I had never given much thought to this verse before. That's another reason I always get a new Bible to begin reading in January but that is another reflection. For today let it suffice to say I recognize that if Jesus would get with his disciples and go to Ephraim it would probably be a pretty good idea for me (and you) to follow that example.

No comments: