Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Take Care of Yourself

I spent Monday in Nashville at a training event. During that time I talked with pastors from all over the country. I heard about a young pastor (52 years old) who died of a heart attack last week. The conversation went on to refer to a number of pastor in North Texas who had all had health issues this summer. It made me think, "What are we doing to ourselves?" It is not just pastors -- it is everybody.

I think about some of the things that I share with other clergy. We have this accountability thing. We as senior pastors of churches are responsible (at least to the annual conference) for a number of things. In reality we are responsible and held accountable for the church's finances. When a church falls behind the pastor gets the call. (Thankfully we are doing pretty well even though things have fallen off this summer. I don't go to sleep and wake up worrying about money!)

We pastors are also responsible to report how many people are in church each week; how many in Bible study; how many in hands-on ministry and things like that.

This is all great. It makes pastors like most everyone else. You have responsibilities and you are held accountable in many areas of work and life.

The thing that strikes me (and other clergy as I have conversations with them) is that we are responsible for things we have no CONTROL over. It goes without saying that I cannot make anyone come to church. I can work with others to create a welcoming and encouraging environment but can't make anybody come. As a matter of fact it is that way in practically all areas of ministry. Responsible but no control.

That can be pretty stressful -- unless -- we see it as an opportunity to nurture our trust in God. That is what I'm up to these days. Learning, practicing, working, thinking, praying -- Trusting God. Would you join me?

No comments: