Sunday, February 12, 2012

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Being a pastor these days is a multifaceted job. Things have changed since I began ministry some years ago. The roles seem to increase. For instance --- we are
Pastors - we pray for the people entrusted to our care. We visit, we counsel, we build relationships, we enter into the lives of people at significant points in life - and a host of other things - Pastor
We are Administrators - thankfully we have Mike Cole at PWUMC! He takes the brunt of the administrative task from my desk - but even so there is a constant need to administer the life of the church.
We are Fund Raisers - Nobody told me anything about this in seminary! Thankfully (again) you are a very generous people and we have a host of great people working to ensure we have adequate funds to do the increasing ministry God puts before us.
We also have a role of Priest - That is when you lead certain "rites" in the church. We baptize - officiate at Holy Communion - perform weddings - funerals - confirm people in the faith -- what joy
We are Communicators - Week by week we are entrusted wtih the awesome task of opening the Word of God and teaching people God's way.
We are Justice advocates - We have the privilege of being a voice for the voiceless.
Ministry is a joy - it is diverse - it is something to share with a congregation.
Here is an insight I find valuable. (You really don't want me trying to do all those things and more.)
Less is best.
I have some strengths and there are so many of you who are so gifted that I am able to focus on what I do best. That way I can give you my best and not burden you with inferior efforts in areas I am not particularly gifted in. This works when (and only when) the people of God step into their roles of service and ministry. You are so gifted. Together we make a team.
It is a joy to serve Christ and His Church in these days. You make it so.
It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: