Sunday, February 5, 2012

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Something that is relatively new to me is the prompt on my computer that says - "Syncing IPod Do Not Disconnect."
In a way the Christian life is similar to syncing. The Holy Spirit is syncing us with Jesus Christ. We are syncing with the will of God - the plans and purposes of God - a relationship with the Lord.
I am never sure what would happen if I chose to "disconnect" before syncing was complete. I would be likely to lose the material being downloaded. I suppose the computer would not blow up. My IPod would not self destruct. There would be no physical harm to me. But I would lose connection and what I had downloaded up to that point.
See where this is going. God desires to "sync" us with Himself. It would be a good reminder for each of us - Do Not Disconnect -- Sync is in process.
If I choose to disconnect the relationship with Christ that is being synced I lose out. Things do not instantly blow up. Not everything already loaded will disappear. But something is lost - that part of life where the Lord is presently seekig to work redemptively - that progress toward living into the will of God - that steady progress toward perfect love and Christian Perfection.
So I think it best to heed the prompt - Do Not Disconnect - Syncing in Progress.
It's been a good day - I hope you've had a good day too. Now it is on to watch the Super Bowl - but how can that game compare to being synced with Christ?
steve

No comments: