Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Life. It is truly amazing. This weekend we experienced a great deal of life as we gathered for worship. The "lively" spirit conveys life - especially in the spiritual realm.
I got an e-mail announcing the birth of a baby early this morning. It is a young couple from another church I once served. Life.
There was a funeral visitation this evening for a friend. He too was part of another church I served at one time. We were friends. It was cancer. While at minister's school a couple weeks ago I went over to his house and spent an hour. I got to see his wife. I talked with Chuck. He was weak. Couldn't really understand much he said but he was in the conversation. It is hard to know what to say at a time like that. I ended up asking Chuck to do something for me. By the look in his eye you could tell he was interested. I asked him to "give my regards to John Wesley." I said he won't know me but you can tell him who I am. Then I asked him to look up another friend of mine who died on New Year's Eve this year. He recognized the name from remembering me speak about this old friend from 30 years ago. At that point Chuck took a pencil and reached for his note pad to write down the name. He had something to do when he got to heaven! Life.
As I reflect on today's events - worship - a short time with this year's confirmation class - a time to share with church leadership this evening - a couple of phone calls - the usual - I am reminded of the wonder of life. Oh yes, there was the baptism of Zachary Curtis Olsen this morning! Life.
I hope you will share with me in taking note of the many aspects of life that we will encounter this week. Today has been a good day filled with life. I hope you had a good day too.
steve

No comments: