Monday, June 23, 2008

Confession

I have a confession to make. I am very remedial when it comes to vacations. I am simply not capable of taking extended time off and enjoying it!

We have taken time off. When Cindy and I got married we went to St. Louis for a few days before heading back to college. (I had to get back for football practice.) We did start a custom of going to a conference most summers. When we go to "Aldersgate" we see old friends and have a good time. I have tried for several years to call this "vacation" but I think I have been found out!

One year we took the kids to St. Louis and went to the Zoo and Science City and all those neat things. It was a fun few days.

A few years ago Cindy and I were thinking about what to do for our 30th anniversary. I even priced airfare and hotels for San Francisco. When it came down to it I just couldn't spend the money, so we went to St. Louis! (I tried to pass that one off as "going back to the place we went when we got married.) I confess. I'm found out. I am a terrible "vacationer."

A couple of years ago we met two other couples and spent two days in Branson and enjoyed that. One year we met another couple and just hung out for a couple of days. Last year, Cindy and I went to Memphis. We drove one day and went to Beale Street that night. The next day we went to Graceland! We went to a unique Elvis concert that night. Then we drove home the next day. Just writing these things out is very therapeutic! I am a failure at vacations.

Which brings me to this summer. I am basically taking off the month of July. We are even going to get out of town for a few days. (Cindy and I are going to Jurisdictional Conference in Dallas.) I am a delegate. I will be in meetings. Does this count as vacation?

I just HAVE to come to some staff meetings in July. We do have new people coming, you know. But I will not be preaching in July. Curtis has it all under control.

I got this great idea the other day. I could write sermons in July. That way I could be ahead when I get back to preaching in August. Somehow Cindy did not think that was a good use of time. O.K., I confess. I am terrible when it comes to vacation.

So there you have my confession. Maybe this summer will be different. Maybe I will actually get away and allow the Spirit to renew and refresh me. Maybe I can get re-energized. Maybe I can rest up. Read a book that doesn't matter. Go to a ballgame. Sleep late. Stay up late. Don't work. Don't worry. Maybe this year ... but I doubt it. Vacation. Somehow I just don't get it. But they do say admitting your problem is the first step toward solving it! Hmmm.

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Hey--10 years ago (in October anyway) you got away to Hilton Head for a few days for a wedding! Not sure I ever saw you on a beach--but it was ALMOST a vacation!

Steve Breon said...

I'm not sure I've ever been the same since! Too many alligators to dodge while looking for lost golf balls.
steve

Grammy said...

But you danced with your wife! Maybe that ought to be an every 10 year occurrence at least!