Friday, June 5, 2020

Reflections (respect)

These are the most challenging days we have seen in a long time.  Growing  divisions over the past several years have burst upon us.  This conflict is beyond what most of us have experienced.
Many are taking a "systems approach" to the matter of racism.  Structural changes that make greater equality a new reality are going to be deeply appreciated. But what about our more personal level?  As people who follow Jesus Christ it is a given that we will do all we can to become better informed and learn how to cast prejudice into the pits of hell where it belongs.  But what is something I might nurture?  What may I do?
Respect.
I was reading a devotion focused on how to love people you disagree with.  That is conflict.  It is also a reality.
The key word to loving others, especially those where disagreements are real, is respect.
Listen respectfully.
Ask questions respectfully.
Respond respectfully.
I know this works.  Some years ago a colleague of mine demonstrated this in a real way.  We were talking and the conversation turned to a controversial issue of the day.  We had different perspectives.  But I still recall the tone of the conversation.  What I realize now is the respect factor was real.  We liked each other.  We respected each other.  That is how we approached each other.  It provided room for understanding and appreciation.  And I know I am better for it.
Respect.
I want to nurture deep respect for the experience of my black friends and of those who I am yet to meet.  I want to listen respectfully.  I want to learn by asking questions respectfully.  I want to always give answers and responses in respectful tones.
Respect.
It is one small step.  It could have great impact.
This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
steve

No comments: