Sunday, October 30, 2016

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Today we gave out Third Grade Bibles.  This is one of our Platte Woods traditions that I find very meaningful.  These children have heard the Bible stories and read from the scriptures.  Now they are presented their own Bible.  It has their name in it.  It is becoming personal.
I always like to give an assignment.  Today I turned their attention to the Gospel of John.  The assignment over the next three weeks is to read one chapter per day. (with their mom and dad) They are to look for the seven "I Am" sayings found in the Gospel of John.  Along the way I believe they will find many other meaningful passages and messages in the Word.
On another note...
Yesterday Cindy and I attended a wedding at a Greek Orthodox Church.  The contrasts between how they do things and how we do them was striking.  I was caught up in the liturgy.  I missed most of the Greek words spoken but actually picked up a couple of things.  The service is rich in symbolism and tradition.  This is no critique on the way we do ministry but it is good to be exposed to different ways.
The Gospel is so rich.  There are so many expressions of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  We are not a one size fits all faith.  We are able to reach some that no others will reach and others reach people we will not reach.  The bottom line is that Jesus Christ is lifted up and people come into relationship with Him.
We meet God in the traditions.  We meet God in worship.  We meet God in liturgy.  We meet God in personal testimonies.  We meet God in baptism.  We meet God in daily life.  Pray with me for a great group of Third Graders as they meet God in the Gospel of John over the next three weeks.
It's been a great day.  I hope you've had a great day too.
steve

No comments: