Sunday, April 17, 2016

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I have probably preached on Thomas and the text in John 20 thirty times or so. I first remember hearing Dr. Buskirk preach a sermon on "The Hands of Jesus." He started by talking about the voice from an unattended television set in another room that said, "If I get my hands on you I'll kill you." He contrasted that with what Jesus would say; "If I get my hands on you I'll save you!" Funny how you remember things like that for 40 years. His points were that in the hands of Jesus Thomas found Pardon for his past; Power for his present; and Promise for his future. I have taken different approaches to the text. I have used different illustrations. I have looked for different points of emphasis. There have been various insights come from these sermons. But there has remained a constant point that finds its way into all those sermons. It deals with doubt and faith. It goes like this: Honest doubt may lead to authentic faith. I used that today. That authentic faith that often begins with honest doubt continues to be a sign of the truth of the Gospel. Lives continue to be changed. Faith keeps being born. People continue to find hope, forgiveness and salvation in the hands of Jesus. Perhaps you see light in his eyes. Perhaps you see life in his face. Certainly you may see grace, acceptance and hope in the hands of Jesus. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thank you for today's sermon Steve. Your sidebar regarding the older woman saying she was finished; that nobody cared, got me. I was sitting there in disbelief that someone could lose their faith at that age after being so faithful. I loved the turning point. Seems it all can turn on a dime for all of us. Thanks for keeping us focused.