Sunday, March 29, 2015

Reflections From Sunday Evening

On this date (March 29) in 1978 Cindy woke me and said it was time to go to the hospital. I had been up late preparing for a Systematic Theology test. Off we went to Hillcrest Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We got there and I got Cindy checked in and turned over to a nurse. I disappeared. A few minutes later I joined her. She asked where I had been. I told her I went and threw up but now I was ready to go! It was a memorable day. Later that afternoon Bobby was born. We remember the significant events in life. That day changed our lives. We have been there as he grew through all the stages of life into adulthood. New life alters our life. I took that exam later in the week. Must have passed it since I ended up graduating. It is all pretty amazing. I think about how other significant events affect our lives. Life if full of decisions and experiences. They all merge together to make us who we are. I think of another event that happened long ago. Today we remembered Jesus' entry into the city and reminded everyone of the events that lay before him culminating at the Cross. And because of what Jesus has done our world has been forever changed. Hope has been woven into the "fabric of the universe (to quote a former bishop who had a great way with words and images). Because of what Jesus has done our lives are not what they might have been. When we include the dimension of personal faith in Christ we have something that forever changes us and that we can never forget. This week there are different times we are called to gather and remember. We have communion on Holy Thursday. We reflect on the Cross on Good Friday. And next week we witness the most amazing event of all time. Resurrection! It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: