Sunday, March 15, 2015

Reflections From Sunday Evening

We are in the message series where we are remembering, celebrating and anticipating the different phases in our church's development. Today we looked at the second phase of our development when the church constructed the first classroom wing. That was in 1964. Of course we want to keep in tune with the times so we remember some of the culture and music of that era. Today the praise team featured "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". It capped our segment on the culture of the 1960's. Abbey Morris was great! I was a bit disappointed that we did not do a duet with me having the Margin Gaye part! (Well, not really since I can't carry a tune in a bucket but it would be cool if I could.) We use some cultural and secular music to illustrate a basic point. People of faith have 2 basic options when it comes to culture. We can separate from it or engage it. We can curse the darkness or light a candle. I choose to engage and seek to make a difference. I invite you to take a similar step. We anticipate engaging the culture through mission and ministry. On another note... I am anticipating what orange shirt I can wear on Tuesday. I know lots of people wear green on St. Patrick's Day but as much as I admire St. Patrick I lean toward William of Orange. After all he was the historical figure that led England at a time that secured the nation as a Protestant nation. This is your chance to brush up on your history. So if you see me in my orange on Tuesday, now you know. It's been a great day. I hope you've had a great day too. steve

No comments: