Sunday, July 28, 2013

Reflections From Sunday Evening

The greatest part of my morning was when a number of people looked me in the eye and said "I WANT to believe." I believe that is all God needs to step into a life in a meaningful way. The invitation was to come and take the hand of a pastor (we were singing "Precious Lord Take My Hand") and say I BELIEVE or I WANT TO BELIEVE. Proved to be a meaningful response to the Gospel. Sometimes people in church are hesitant to admit they have questions and even doubts. I don't think God has a checklist to make sure we have enough right answers, right beliefs or even right behaviors to quality for grace. One of my early mentors, Dr. Jim Buskirk, taught us that "honest doubt may be the beginning of real faith." There are some doctrines, practices and beliefs of the Church that not everyone fully understands. Some have serious doubts about some of the things we believe and teach. But that does not disqualify anyone. God seeks and when we move in His direction He comes to meet us. I Believe. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: