Sunday, July 7, 2013

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I recall a seminary class where we read an author who referred to the "American Captivity of the Church." It was a comparison to the Biblical teaching of the Babylonian Captivity of Israel. It was the first challenge I ever faced regarding my patriotism. Later at another seminary it was questioned whether a person could be a "patriot" and a "Christian." That was another confusing moment. I believed 'of course you can.' So through the years I have worked on understanding my love for country and love for Jesus. Recently I have read some who help me put what I believe in perspective. I look at Jeremiah 29 for my position on God and Country. In Jeremiah 29 the prophet has spoken for the Lord and the people of God are in exile in Babylon. Some people resist. Some feel defeated and confused. But the Lord gives instructions on how to live in a city (nation). "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." Here are some insights that emerge from the text and our experience. First I realize that my love for country (patriotism) is secondary to my love for Jesus Christ. I guess I am not a "manifest destiny" person. Tex Sample reminded us that the Chinese Dragon, the Soviet Bear nor the American Eagle will swoop in and save us. Jesus Christ saves us. So the cross stands above the flag. The text in Jeremiah reinforces my love for country. Certainly our nation - nor any nation - is not perfect. But this is the greatest country on the earth. But don't mistake nation for kingdom of God. But we want to love our nation and do all we can to be great citizens and supporters of the freedom we enjoy. Jeremiah puts this in perspective. While the nation may not be everything we wish it were, it is the place where God has planted us. God has given us this place. There will be days when things look troubling. There will be issues we disagree over. But we are followers of Jesus and we are Americans. I believe God has put me here. So I will love country as a follower of Jesus. I will pray for my nation. I will be a full participant in my nation. I will seek the best for my country. I will work for the prosperity of my nation. This is where we live. Through our citizenship and patriotism we fulfill the message of Jeremiah. We too anticipate the peace and prosperity God graciously provides. So God first. Cross lifted high. Nation loved. Flag honored. It's been a good day and a good week. It was a joy to celebrate our Independence this week. Today was a great day to celebrate our freedom in Christ. I hope you've had a good day too. Steve

No comments: