Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reflections From Sunday Evening

So the announcement comes that the University of Missouri will be joining the Southeastern Conference (SEC). Should be interesting. I have been a Missouri Tiger fan since I was a little kid. I grew up following the home state school. It just made sense to me. I guess I have always put a lot of emphasis on geography. Missouri was my team because they were my home state school (even though I actually lived closer to Lawrence, Kansas, than Columbia, Missouri).

I probably could have played football at MU - if I had been bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, more athletic - you get the picture.

Now my home state team moves away from the Midwest area for competition. Off to the Southeast. No more MU-KU, MU-KState, MU-Nebraska (oh yeah, they already left).
Now it is hello Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama.

I think I'll still be a Tiger fan. But it seems like something is being lost in this transaction - for those who did not attend Mizzou or compete there - but have always cheered for them - just because.

Really MU is one of three teams (that would be football and basketball) that I find myself getting invested in when they play. Get excited - get nervous. The other two are the Royals and the Chiefs (not so much on the Chiefs today).

Oh yes, there is another that I feel invested in. That would be Baker U. Nice small college in Baldwin City, Kan. They don't have TV contracts. They don't have million dollar budgets. They don't have thousands of fans all over the country. But I went there. Also played a little football and ran some track. Had a great time. I like to follow them.

I will keep hoping MU does well as they make their transition to the SEC. But I may try to catch a BU game more often.

There is your update on the local sports scene.

I could make a spiritual application to this - but not this week. Cheer for your team!

It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

No comments: