Friday, May 20, 2011

"Rapture"

As I sit down to write this it is about 24 hours until the predicted "end of the world." The "rapture" has been predicted by a California preacher to come at 6:00 p.m. Saturday, May 21, 2011. So what about this?

Let me begin with a scripture reference. Matthew 24:36 tells us that no one knows the day or the hour when the Son of Man (Jesus) will return. Jesus tells his followers he does not have this information. Only the Father (God) knows.

Just let that scripture stand on its own. It seems curious that God would choose to reveal this sacred secret to anybody if he chooses to keep it from His Son.

Another thought. It's already tomorrow somewhere in the world. I won't belabor that point.
Let me offer some theological insights.

1 Thessalonians 4:17 is the scripture that people use to introduce the idea of the rapture. Basically this comes from an interpretation of scriputre that recognizes the church as the new Israel. There will come a time of severe tribulation. There will be a secret "catching away" of the Church prior to the tribulation.

Historically this is a doctrine of the Church that does not appear until around 1800. It came with the introduction of a new theological system called dispensationalism. (Google it.)

None of the apostles spoke of a rapture of the saints. Jesus did not. No early Christian theologian, thinker or leader referred to a rapture.

The early church spoke of the Parousia. There is certainly a sense that Jesus Christ will come again. The first witnesses to the resurrection expected him back by Thursday! (They didn't say that - but there was a sense of the imminent return of Christ.) Orthodox Christianity still expects the return of Jesus Christ.

The best I can tell there is no Christian teaching about the secret rapture of the Church before the early 1800s. For me it is not a credible doctrine.

An observation - In our culture people do not want to die and certainly don't want to suffer. It would be great if the church escaped hard times and thus avoided suffering and death. It's hard to find support for this idea in Jesus.

The doctrine goes on to pick out the "true" followers of Jesus Christ as those who will be raptured prior to Jesus' return. There are huge problems with one group determining who has valid faith and who does not. ntThat's for another day.

So here is the idea. We are expected to always be prepared to give an account of our faith and always ready to meet Jesus.

Will there be a judgment day? I expect it. Will we get a "heads up" on when it will come? I seriously doubt it.

What should I do if I am worried about this much-talked-about event? You should search your heart and commit or renew your commitme to faith in Jesus Christ. Then go live life in relationship with Christ. When he comes you will be embraced by his grace and power.

For my part I think it would be great if Jesus would come and take me away from an evil world and any pain and suffering - even death. If that happens I'm good with whatever God wants to do. But I will not be teaching or preaching a "rapture" theology for you. I consider it "pop" Christianity. I do not consider it a Biblical doctrine. I want to live (and I want you to live) a faithful Christian life - loving God and neighbor - doing good - growing in grace - being a full participant in the life of grace. I don't want to "escape" (and I don't want you to escape) this world.

I would encourage you to build your faith and understanding of what theologians call eschatology on traditional, historical Biblical interpretation rather than dispensational theology which came about in the early 1800s. Learn from the Church and not the Left Behind series.

I hope it helps a bit as we face the days in which we live. I'll be preaching on this in the next month or so (unless the Lord comes before that).

Chances are 6:00 p.m. tomorrow will come and go. Then we can move on to the Mayan calendar.
Blessings.

No comments: