Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Christian Response

For the past two days I've been reading, watching and reflecting on the demise of Osama bin Laden. First a person with evil intent has been eliminated. Bin Laden was the focus of the war on terrorism and with his killing the landscape changes. I am not sure I woke this morning in a safer world but the dynamics have changed. A person who wages war and puts themselves in the position of being searched for and sought out lives with a huge risk. He was finally found and killed.

These are facts. These events represent the way things work in our world, especially in the area of war.

Here are some reflections. I did not dance in the streets when the news came. That seems a lot like the response of some Middle Eastern people in the wake of 9-11.

I felt ambivalent when I learned of bin Laden's death. I did not really feel remorse. I did not feel joy. I guess I simply took it as the way things worked out.

Some people - especially those who lost loved ones in the Twin Towers attack - experienced closure to a horrible time in life.

Some people rejoiced that our enemy was dead.

But what are we who follow Jesus Christ supposed to feel and do?

I have read some friends reminding us that we (Christians) do not delight in the death of the wicked.

We do not need to exact revenge on people - God deals with that.

We do seek justice - God works with that also.

I suppose what I would have loved to see happen would have been bin Laden riding his horse, lights flashing from heaven and the voice of the Lord calling out, "Why do you persecute me?" I would rather see an enemy converted than killed. But that did not happen.

So I guess my hope would be that we move forward. Don't dance in the streets and celebrate the death of someone - even someone with the evil intent of bin Laden.

Continue to seek the Lord and pray for peace.

I still feel odd about the whole thing. May God lead us.

No comments: