Sunday, March 7, 2010

Reflections From Sunday Evening

It is an absolute joy for me to be able to work with our staff. I truly appreciated Ginger's sermon today. As we continue to explain the "life of grace" it is important to teach on the various aspects of how we live the faith. Ginger's sermon on "Disciplines" brought me encouragement. I hope you felt that also.
I really appreciated the part about the discipline of fasting. Frankly this is not one of the spiritual disciplines I give the sort of attention to that I could. I do practice this discipline but maybe not in a way that we read in the Bible. I have never gone to the desert or the mountains and fasted for 40 days. That was in our communion liturgy today. This is the season of Lent and we are giving thought to spiritual preparation. But fast for 40 days????
I do fast regularly. I fast breakfast on Sunday's when I preach. That actually started when I was newer at preaching because I usually felt a bit out of sorts due to the excitement of what I was about to do but over time this is become my practice. It does help me get centered on what God is doing.
I have done the Wesley fast at different times. (Evening meal to "tea" time the next afternoon.)
I fasted for 3 days once when I was seeking specific direction from the Lord.
I appreciated the good word today.
While I am bragging on people I also want to express the joy I have working with Curtis and Angie. They have so much going and their vision continues to expand and draw me along. (Anyone up for a food program that could save lives? a mere 90k would do a miracle! - Thanks for that to pray on Angie.)
Curtis has things moving forward with Journey Groups - small group ministry. This is so important for our future as we continue to seek to make disciples for Jesus Christ.
So that was what went on today. Oh yes, I also had the opportunity to spend an hour with our confirmation class today. We talked (I talked) about grace. Jazzed me!
This afternoon 11 young received the highest award the Boy Scounts extend. The Eagle Court of Honor is always a very meaningful time and this afternoon was no exception. It is good to see young live touched and set on a great course for life.
So it's been a good day. The weather is great. The vision is alive. The Lord is at work. I'm eager to see what comes next. I hope you've had a great day too.
blessings,
steve

No comments: