Saturday, June 13, 2009

Royals

Last night (Friday) Cindy and I went to the Royals game with a group of adult leaders and students in our youth program. It was a great night - the game was all you could want - but the post-game show was memorable. They had lots of fireworks which is cool but they also celebrated 40 years of K.C. Royals baseball. I remember day 1. As a matter of fact I was in the stands for the second game in Royals history. (I'd have been at the first but had to go to school or something like that.) Anyway, I've been a Royals fan since they started.

I grew up with these guys. Paul Splittorff, Willie Wilson, Frank White, John Mayberry, Freddie Patek, and of course George Brett. There was Dan Quisenberry and Dick Howser. Hundreds of men have worn the Royal uniform through these past 40 years.

It amazes me how a baseball team is able to capture things that are really important. They recognized PASSION, COMMITMENT, TRADITION AND THE EXPERIENCE. You could make that the emphasis for a church.

Anyway, the remembrance was neat. I think about some of the men like Dan Quisenberry and Dick Howser who have passed on. I remember the "pine tar" game with George Brett and the fierce competion with the New York Yankees. The big crowd that was at the New "K" last night had a great trip with our past stars and those now wearing the Royals uniform.

Just a few thoughts on something that has brought me joy for many years.

No comments: