Sunday, June 7, 2009

Annual Conference - day 2 - Saturday

We started early. Bishop Hope Morgan Ward preached and did a great job. She serves the Mississippi Area. (In her sermon she mentioned Fanny Lou Hamer and an experience in Indianola, Ms. I once preached in the church there!) Little things that strike a chord.

The business that is done early in conference is basically done to get things ready for action that comes later. For instance we "present" the budget to get it in front of the conference but will not approve or amend it until Monday.

Before lunch we had the Retirement (I believe 29 retired) and Commissioning Service (16 commissioned if I remember correctly). A personal observation - I have a story about practically all those who retired. I've served with them. I've know many since I started out over 30 years ago. I was district superintendent for a couple of them -- gave one his first appointment. And I also have begun working with those who were commissioned. It was a good and meaningful time for many.

The afternoon was spent in workshops. I went to rehearsal for the ordination service. Following a Board of Ordained Ministry dinner where we recognize those to be ordained we headed to the site of the service. As always it was a very meaningful and moving service. Bishop Schnase ordained three deacons and nine elders.

Among those ordained was Chris Snyder, our former associate. Good to see the family!

At the ordaination dinner I found myself seated by the bishop from Mozambique. I mentioned to her that we had a team from the church I serve in Mozambique right now. She asked if "Chris" was there. I discovered new fame for Chris Sams. Later I was reminded that the offering taken at the ordination service was for the orphanage our team has gone to visit and that we are seeking to complete.

All in all it was a good day. A bit tiring. Enough challenges to keep us paying attention. Enough joy to encourage us.

No comments: