Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

This is a great time of year for a basketball fan (college and high school that is.) I'm checking out conference tournaments today. Along with all our Mizzou fans I'm enjoying the fact that the Tigers won the Big XII tournament yesterday. Our area teams are heading for the NCAA tournament. This week Kansas City will host the NAIA basketball tournament as well as first and second round games of the NCAA regional. Basketball is so much fun.

I watch these teams and realize that I could have played at that level. -- If I had been a little taller - stronger - faster - quicker - more talented - smarter - more athletic -- but I still enjoyed it. (I give credit to John Pauley for that "if I had been...." part.)

OK, so I was not talented enough to play in the big time. I did play at my level and had fun.

There is something else that I may not be the most talented at - preacher - spiritual life - things like that - but here is some good news for people like me. God has done something on my behalf (and yours) that changes everything. We are not evaluated in comparison with others. Because we are not as proficient at prayer as St. Francis of Assisi does not mean we are passed over. I may not be the church planter the Apostle Paul was but God does not "cut" me from the team.
Jesus has done something that makes us all welcome on the team. Through his life, death and resurrection Jesus has opened the way for us to be fully included in the life of faith. All I can do is say yes and thank you.

So this week if you find yourself watching a basketball game remember that we are brought into the way of Christ not because we are more talented than others but because of His grace. Rejoice in the life of grace today.

We did so at worship this morning. It was a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

No comments: