Sunday, June 17, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Today our kids came up for church and then we gathered for lunch celebrating Father's Day and our son-in-law and daughter-in-laws birthdays.  So thankful for these moments and times to reflect and remember.
After they headed home Cindy and I went to see mom and dad.  Took dad a card, a gift and some banana cream pie.  (He likes that.)  Sat and watched the ball game and visited for awhile.  Pretty amazing to have both parents living into their late 80's.  Once again, feeling thankful.
I gave some thought to some of the influence my dad has had in my life.  I think of him being thoughtful.  He has taught me thoughtfulness.  I have this tendency to say what comes to mind and often find myself processing things out loud.  Dad is not like that.  He might not talk a lot but when he had something to say people tended to pay attention.  That is a great lesson.  Thoughtful.
My dad has taught me things like loyalty. (That's not as big a thing today, it seems.)  Dad stayed with the same company for 40 years.  He was loyal to the Church.  He has always been a good friend to people.  Even in a time when loyalty seems to be out of vogue, I find myself grateful for that trait being instilled in my own life.
There are so many life lessons.  So many times I can still see dad at the ballgames, at church, at work, or showing me how to throw a ball or shoot a basket.  I am thankful my dad is in my life.  Would love to keep living the lessons and passing on some of those traits instilled in me.
Happy Father's Day.  God bless.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: