Sunday, July 16, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

It is not an easy task to convince people that judgment is a good thing, but that was a big point in the message today.  A basic Christian teaching is that we will all stand before God and He will judge us.  That thought tends to produce a sense of foreboding.  I mean, who likes to be judged?
We do not like it when other people judge us. (Sometimes that does not stop us from judging others but that is another subject.)  But I can make a case that when a Christian is judged it is a good thing.
I didn't necessarily plan to say it in the sermon but I saw Cindy and that prompted me to point out something.
I like to be right.  The other point is that I may not always be right.  I do not necessarily like to be corrected.  (That was where Cindy comes in).  She is so gracious and always has my best interests at heart.  She is able to see things I don't.  She helps me see things rightly and get on track.
But back to my thought.  I like to be right.  I am not always right.  I do not like to be corrected.  But I would rather be corrected than go on being wrong.
This is where I turn to the Lord.  It is a good discipline to spend daily time in the presence of God.  When we open our hearts to the Lord He tests our hearts.  God examines our hearts.  In a foretaste of judgment the Holy Spirit confirms us where we are on track and confronts us where we are wrong.  God's confrontation then leads to correction.  It may not be fun but being corrected by God is much better than going on being wrong.
There you have it.  Open your life to the Lord and welcome His divine judgment to make you all He has created and called you to be.
It's been a great day.  I hope you've had a great day too.
steve

No comments: