Sunday, November 1, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Angie started our "Last Lecture" series this weekend. She did a great job with the message. Next week our pastoral staff will combine to do the message that speaks about mentoring. (Guess who is cast as the 'old' mentor?) It's shaping up as a very meaningful series.

I have come to the place of deeply appreciating reading the names of those saints who have preceded us in death during the previous year. When the names are read, the bell is rung and people stand in honor ... I feel a true sense of gratitude and appreciation.

This year we (great idea, Angie) added the opportunity to light a candle in memory/honor of another. Went great.

I have to confess that when I am not preaching I get pretty wrapped up in those details others take care of regularly. Are we "on time?" What if we go late? What if we run out of communion elements? What if we burn the church down?! But then I hear - the Word of God - legacy - thanks - hope - grace - life. It happened today. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to worship with you today.

Not only was church really good today, Cindy and I drove out to Baker U yesterday and watched the football team beat William Jewell 26-6. For a Baker grad it is always a great day when we win over Jewell. (Sorry all my Jewell friends.)

It's been a great weekend. I trust you will enjoy the wonder of God's creation. Have a super day and week ahead.

No comments: