Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

A good day. I was one of a few thousand who got out this morning and ran around a 5k course! I wa pretty happy with it. My pace for a little over 3 miles was under 11 minutes. (All the real runners can stop grinning or laughing out loud in a couple of minutes and we will go ahead.) It is a good crowd of people. There are a lot of walkers. There are families jogging around together. There are little kids who are having a lot of fun. I probably was not the oldest person there! Oh there are those hard core runners. I was about 7 minutes into the race (remember when you start at the back it takes a few minutes to actually get to the starting line). About seven minutes in and I look up and here come the leaders heading toward the finish line! It's pretty amazing. My son Bobby was not winning the race but he ran it in about 20 minutes. So I was only about 12 and one-half minutes behind him!

I always note some of the younger runners. They might pass me four times during the race! But then I would come along and there would be one of those youngsters walking. They run fast and walk, run fast and walk. On the other hand I hardly varied my pace. I started slow and stayed that way! But I was consistent.

I actually try to live the Christian life this way. Consistent. Not running too far ahead. Not stopping. Staying the course. Staying the pace. Consistent. At least that is the goal.

In addition we had the family over for Thanksgiving dinner. Dad said the prayer. I know God heard. We ate. We visited. We watched a Bill Cosby (old time comedy) routine. Watched some football. Basically enjoyed being together.

I don't need a lot to be happy. Today was a day filled with blessings. Nothing huge. Everything significant. Much to be thankful for. I had a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

No comments: